Patrick Hennessy and Melissa Kite story

There’s a report in today’s Sunday Telegraph that’s inaccurate. I wasn’t asked to verify the story, particularly the statement that I was excluded from the campaign:

“By contrast a number of Mr Brown’s most trusted advisers – including Tom Watson, the former Cabinet Office minister, and Charlie Whelan, the Prime Minister’s former spin doctor who is now the political director of the Unite union, have been effectively excluded.”

For the record: I was asked on at least two occasions to play a role in the national campaign. I declined because I wanted to spend the month of the election, campaigning in West Bromwich and larking about with my kids. For the Watson household, annual elections would be a joy.

Also for the record, though I disagreed with parts of his Digital Economy Bill, I have the highest regard for Peter Mandelson. No-one could lead Labour’s election campaign better than he. He has my total support in this campaign, as he has done since I was his photocopy boy in the 1987 general election.

It’s more than a quarter of a century since I took my first job as a trainee library assistant at Labour HQ. If I’ve learnt one thing in those years it’s that whoever you appoint as an election campaign manager is the boss. They make the calls. And thank heavens we have Peter running our operation.

#1 Matthew Pearson on 04.25.10 at 10:00 am

I’d love to send a comment of fulsome praise for Lord Mandelson, or one of criticism. But I fear that either would probably lead to me being tracked down via my ISP and disconnected, for illegal opinion sharing. The digital economy bill was the worst kind of interfering, half thought through, half arsed legislation possible, and from a new labour administration that is quite an achievement.

#2 Nick on 04.25.10 at 11:23 am

Do you think that library assistants should be running the country in any way?

#3 Chris McCray on 04.25.10 at 1:29 pm

…”annual elections would be a joy.”

So deep down you’re a CHARTIST! http://is.gd/bHc4Q

Come on Tom, get the Labour party behind proper electoral reform. None of this knee-jerk reactionary crap being spewed out by the likes of the Indie.

#4 Guido Fawkes on 04.25.10 at 6:28 pm

I’d like to record my gratitude to you for putting Gordon Brown in the job and to Peter Mandelson for campaigning for third place.

Onwards to a non-socialist future.

#5 davecole.org » blog » archive » If Labour lose: two questions on 04.29.10 at 10:45 am

[...] going to tag Peter Kenyon, Tom Watson and Luke Akehurst as they’re far more knowledgeable about the workings of the Labour party [...]

#6 John Edwards on 05.02.10 at 10:56 pm

Surely a disgrace that the Sunday Telegraph would dare run a story without verifying it with Mandelson’s former photocopy boy. What is the world coming to?

Coupled with the outrageous Saturday Times leader comment, I feel another session with Carter-Ruck may be in order quite soon. Could be trebles all round again by the summer.

John Edwards