I’m thinking about what you’d have to include in a code for civil service bloggers. In the last half an hour I’ve come up with a list of 12 points, though this isn’t exhaustive. Any ideas?
1. Write as yourself
2. Own your own content
3. Be nice
4. Keep secrets
5. No anonymous comments
6. Remember the civil service code
7. Got a problem? Talk to your boss
8. Stop it if we say so
9. Be the authority in your specialist field â€“ provide worthwhile information
10. Think about consequences
11. Media interest? Tell your boss
12. Correct your own mistakes
UPDATE: A clunky old blog is not the place for ministerial edicts. It is place to start discussions and seek views. So you stick up a post to stimulate a discussion about what a civil service blogging code should look like – on a blog – and it gets translated by the Press Association into “Civil servants who write blogs must be nice or face being silenced”. Oh dear. This is classic new vs. old territory.