They call him Flipper

flipflop.jpg You pick up a lot of “traffic” in the library – a whispered conversation here, the odd remark there. Two Conservatives have spent the last 10 minutes talking about how they were “massacred” at Prime Minister’s Questions today. The tea room is buzzing that the PM has found the measure of Mr Cameron.

What makes it so pleasing to my side is that David Cameron brought it upon himself by being a bit too clever by half. He raised the issue of policy “flip-flopping” you see, something his own side feel deeply uneasy about after recent pronouncements. Tony Blair hammered home the advantage from the front bench.

This is the first time for Labour that Mr Cameron has a little more definition at the end of the day than he had at the beginning.

Anyway, if anyone fancies winning a copy of the hardback guide to Parliament, I’m offering it for the best David Camreron photoshopped Flip-Flop. Go on, cheer me up and send me something.

Also, do you know where I might be able to get hold of a giant pair of flip-flops by the weekend?

#1 iain dale on 02.08.06 at 5:50 pm

Tom, I’m sure your readers would have appreciated your views on last week’s government defeats rather than a rant about David Cameron. Come on, what went wrong? Was it all your fault?!!!

#2 John Angliss on 02.08.06 at 6:14 pm

Also in those PMQs was an extremely flippant answer by Blair: “Colin Burgon (Lab) worries that our pilicy [sic] towards countries like Venezuela is shaped by a rightwing US government. Mr Blair says that the president of Venezuela needs to take care when he makes agreements with countries like Cuba, as it is not a democracry[sic], which is what the PM would like to see there.” – Guardian Unlimited

Well great, but whilst Britain is content to make agreements with China, Saudi Arabia and Algeria among other undemocratic countries, I would say we can’t condemn Venezuela for associating with Cuba, which still has overwhelming public support for its regime… more secure than Blair’s.

#3 Mike Ion on 02.08.06 at 8:12 pm

I will forward a copy of the leaflet that Blair referred to. It appears that great flip-flopper has flopped at last!

#4 Guido Fawkes on 02.08.06 at 10:43 pm

Dave got monstered today.

But it will backfire, if this is the agreed New Labour line it will reinforce the “changed to win” meme of the Cameroonies. We’re different now is what they are saying.

Though the c’mon to the LibDems was a little over the top.

#5 Gary Barford on 02.10.06 at 3:28 am

Take it you wern’t involved in the triumph in Dunfermline, Tommy?

#6 Murk on 02.14.06 at 2:59 pm

I’ve always wondered… whilst recognising that indecisiveness can be a bad thing, I have this question.

Why is it that uniquely in politics revising ones opinions in light of evidence is seen as weakness… whereas in any other walk of life it’s seen as evidence of a rational and thinking mind? Indeed, holding an opinion in the face of evidence to the contrary is often seen in a very bad light…

#7 Antony Calvert on 03.17.06 at 11:53 pm

How amusing that Nu Lab are now importing neo-con American Republican campaign slurs! I’m sure the founding fathers of the Labour movement would have been proud at such an ultra-right conversion