Ok, I’m a bit slow at finding some of these websites but some of them are just exceptional.
1. LastFM – The best find of 2005. Linked to iTunes this compiles your personal listening charts, finds your nearest musical neighbours and recommends further listening. If these guys hooked up with iTunes, they’d be the Friends Re-united of the music world. It is just exceptional.
2. Flickr – Like I said, I’m pretty slow to find this site but since the boy was born, it has been an invaluable way of sharing photos with family members and friends.
3. PostSecret – There have been occassions this year where I have nearly, just nearly, stuck up my own cry for help on this mainly funny, occassionally dark site.
Bobby, the ever-effervescent student in my office has disturbed the Watson family Christmas to bitterly complain about Bob Geldof selling out. Am I the only person in the Labour Party who doesn’t agree with this view? Here’s my thinking:
1. Bob Geldof is not a man to be messed with. If David Cameron fails to deliver on the poverty agenda, then he will say so.
2. The challenge to the Tories is to match the rhetoric to policy.
3. I just don’t think they have the will to do this.
Jumping into bed with Zac Goldsmith looks counter-intuitive and clever now but will it be when they fail to deliver on climate change? Either Mr Goldsmith has cut a political deal to meet the family ambition of entering parliament or else he’s going to be a very disappointed millionaire ecologist.
As for the mighty Bob, there is a great piece in the times about pop stars and the right. I had to make a strong cup of coffee to recover from reading it. Can it be true that the legendary Johnny Ramone is a flippin’ Repbulican? It was bad enough when I found out Billy Bragg wanted an elected House of Lords using a warped form of PR.
2005 will be known as the year as the iPod. The great thing about iTunes is that you can arrange your music into smart playlists. It takes away the Nick Hornby style love of your record collection but it doesn’t half help with family parties. Anyway, here’s my list of fave music from this year:
Forget Myself – Elbow
Their album, Leaders of the Free World, is my record of the year.
Aint no easy way – Black Rebel Motor Cycle Club
Barnowl – Caribou
Fix you – Coldplay
Good people – Jack Johnson
Blue Orchid – The White Stripes
American Idiot- Green Day
The Haynes clan have been going pop-art crazy since reading how to convert ordinary photos into Warhol masterpieces on B3ta. Stavros, you’re a criminal genius. Thanks for the new avatar.