Can you help me?

If I was to have a say, albeit minor, in deciding what poster the Labour Party should use to respond to the £35 billion cuts to our public services that is planned by Michael Howard, what should I go for? Let me know and I will cast my vote in favour of the forgotten majority who visit this site ;-)

1. Dangerous Hypnotist
2. Pigs might fly
3. Sums don’t add up

#1 Dave Lambert on 01.25.05 at 7:43 pm

Already voted personally, but you can always count me in for a bit of porcine aviation when it comes to the Tories.

#2 slim on 01.25.05 at 8:11 pm

1. dangerous tack to take as some of the electorate might actually believe he can do this and therefore vote for him

2. unoriginal

3. best of a bad bunch. the superimposed heads (apparently!) resemble those photos that you often find on some of the less reputable internet sites and Red Top newspapers (so I’ve been reliably informed).

#3 Johan on 01.25.05 at 9:21 pm

I’d go for #3.

The pigs one looks like a bad photoshop, and I don’t like something about the first one.

#4 Peter Kenyon on 01.25.05 at 10:16 pm

Excellent idea, asking people to vote. I thought “Pigs might fly” was a good bet bearing in mind the Leadership promise on policy making made to the 1997 conference. Remember how all that compositing was an Old Labour way. So we were offered a New Labour option Partnership in Power. Now it seems the Leadership does not like the votes of Labour Party members through Partnership in Power and wants to continue to make up policy on the hoof. Good luck in the Whips Office.

#5 MH on 01.25.05 at 10:35 pm

Number 3

#6 Ben on 01.26.05 at 7:40 am

“Sums don’t add up.”

By far the best.

#7 Leighton on 01.26.05 at 8:59 am

Tom

I voted for hypnotist myself – see leightonandrews.blogspot.com

Leighton

#8 Mike Wood on 01.26.05 at 10:08 am

or perhaps something explaining why the Government’s £20billion cuts to public services aren’t dangerous, unrealistic or misleading?

#9 Demos Greenhouse on 01.26.05 at 10:31 am

What-do-you-reckonÂ??

So the good news is that Tom WatsonÂ?s blog is back up and running Â? and the other news is that heÂ?s asking people who visit the site for their views on which poster the Labour Party should use to respond to Conservative plans to cut taxes should they w…

#10 Bob Piper on 01.26.05 at 11:50 am

Wasn’t keen on the sums don’t add up… it seems to suggest something about our education standards. I think I would vote for the flying pigs and I suspect most people wouldn’t know what a ‘bad photoshop’ was. Peter is spot on about the policy process… as ever!

#11 Mike Oborski on 01.26.05 at 12:32 pm

I have a feeling that this sort of poster goes totally un-noticed unless the design is something absolutely spectacularly brilliant that just happens to catch the mood of the moment. I don’t think that these three get anywhere near that league.

#12 Tim Ireland on 01.26.05 at 12:57 pm

You would think the Labour Party could afford some slightly better photoshoppers….

#13 Richard Crossan on 01.26.05 at 1:53 pm

The first one. Fits in well with the ‘something of the night’ reputation, something Labour would do well do play up.

#14 Mike Wood on 01.26.05 at 2:07 pm

Or maybe something explaining which taxes you intend to raise to cover the shortfall in the Government’s figures. Perhaps you could have another vote.
Do you prefer:
a) 2p increase in the basic rate of income tax
b) another increase in National Insurance contributions
c) capital gains tax on main homes

#15 Andrew Gimber on 01.26.05 at 4:01 pm

I’d go for the hypnotist one on the basis it exploits Howard’s creepy demeanour.

#16 Tavis Pitt on 01.26.05 at 8:00 pm

3. Sums don’t add up

It’s the best of the three, but still boring. Also, the graphics could be better.

How about Howard in a chef’s hat, ‘cooking the books’ or making number soup and picking numbers out at random?

#17 Neil on 01.26.05 at 8:45 pm

The hypnotist poster made me laugh out loud. Very Funny.
MH looks riddiculous.

Vote for that one Tom, the other two are boring.

#18 James Mata on 01.26.05 at 10:01 pm

HI! My name is James Mata, I own the http://www.zombiewire.com site. Please visit and you can read about pigs flying

#19 HamishMac on 01.27.05 at 3:34 am

Unfortuantely, all of these posters rely on people knowing who Michael Howard and Oliver Letwin are.
Incidentally I voted for 1, it’s the one that most obviously says Michael Howard and the Tories are stupid and liars. A good message to have.

#20 Bill on 01.27.05 at 7:08 am

Every time I see the party’s current posters I read them as “Lowest honesty rates for 40 years”, “Lowest personal liberty since the 60s” and “Longest period of chicanery for 200 years”